Happy Halloween! Trick your little one’s into getting their 5 a day with these delicious brownies.
2 x 400g cans black beans
1 tbsp vanilla extract
230g butter or coconut oil
180g light muscovado sugar or maple syrup
100g unsweetened cocoa powder
130g chopped walnuts
pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Grease a 20 x 30cm baking tin and line with baking parchment.
- Rinse and drain the beans
- Melt the butter or coconut oil gently in a pan and leave to cool a little.
- Now blend the beans, eggs, cocoa powder and maple syrup or sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt in a food processor.
- Slowly add the melted butter or coconut oil whilst gently blending.
- Fold in all but a few walnuts if using and turn out into the dish.
- Gently spread out batter to fill the dish, sprinkle with remaining walnuts and bake for 30-45 minutes. The brownie should be firm to touch with the surface slightly cracked – but not too dry.
- Leave to cool, then cut into squares. Will keep for a few days in a tin at room temperature, and 1 week in the fridge.
*Recipe credit: Modified from Hemsley and Hemsley