Stuck in a lunchtime rut? VavistaLife Nutrition Expert, Tess Mewton has rustled up some inspiring, healthy recipes for your lunchbox that will keep you full till dinner.
It is important you have a good lunch, not only to provide you with the essential nutrients that your body needs but also to give you energy to keep you going in the afternoon and avoid that 3pm slump.
Make sure you include some carbohydrates to keep your energy levels up and try to choose higher fibre options such as granary bread, brown rice, pitta bread, seeded bagels, crackers or oat cakes.
Including protein such as chicken, fish, eggs or hummus is important, as these foods will help keep you fuller for longer.
If you struggle to eat your ‘5 a day’ try to include 1-2 portions at lunch time by eating some salad or fruit.
Remember to include a drink to stay well hydrated and you will be ready to take on whatever the afternoon has in store for you!
Here are some healthy ideas to help inspire you:
Sandwiches -Granary bread with:
- Ham, 2 or 4 slices of wafer thin ham and salad
- Chicken and salad with extra light mayonnaise
- Tuna (in water) with sweetcorn and extra light mayonnaise
- A handful of prawns mixed with extra light mayonnaise and salad
- 1 egg mixed with reduced-fat mayonnaise and cress
Three bean salad – Chop ½ small red onion, ½ green and red pepper and 5 cherry tomatoes. Mix with 2tbsp each of red kidney beans, butter beans and chick peas, 4tbsp cooked brown rice and fat-free dressing.
Chicken and pasta salad – Chop 1 grilled skinless chicken breast, 5 cherry tomatoes, a large piece of cucumber, 4 spring onions and ½ green pepper. Mix with 4tbsp cooked whole wheat pasta and 2tsp reduced-fat mayonnaise. Serve with a green salad.
- Soft cheese and ham wrap. 1 tortilla wrap filled with lean ham, low-fat soft cheese and salad.
- Hummus and pitta bread. Reduced-fat hummus with 1 wholemeal pitta bread and vegetable crudités.
- Tuna and pitta bread. 1 wholemeal pitta bread filled with 1 small can of tuna, 6 cherry tomatoes, ½ chopped pepper, ½ grated carrot and 1 spring onion.
- Falafels. 1 wholemeal pitta bread filled with hummus, falafels and salad.
- Spicy tuna and bean pitta. 1 wholemeal pitta bread filled with ½ small can tuna in water mixed with 2tbsp red kidney beans and chilli sauce to taste and salad.
- Avocado dip and pitta bread. Mash 1 small avocado with 1 skinned and de-seeded chopped tomato, a little lemon juice, Tabasco to taste and 1 clove crushed garlic. Serve with 1 wholemeal pitta bread and vegetable crudités.